RE: Specifying search attributes

From: E.V.Brack <V.Brack@sheffield.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 12:26:44 -0000
To: www-zig@w3.org

> The answer depends a lot on what servers you wish to connect to. In
> our experience of searching different commercial library systems in
> the UK, the Z-server default behaviour is the limiting factor.

I also found this when I was managing the RIDING project
(www.riding.ac.uk). We found that servers were not behaving in an
expected manner and that some had some 'undocumented
features'. It was a very time-consuming business to discover what
they were doing, let alone configure our Z-searches to suit.

The project finished mid-2000 so hopefully some of the problems
have been ironed out since, but I compiled a report on the
behaviour of the servers we dealt with - if you would like a copy
please let me know.

Verity Brack
Dr E V Brack
Access & Flexible Learning Development Officer
Institute for Lifelong Learning
University of Sheffield
196-8 West Street
tel: +44 (0)114 222 7085