Re: Z39.50 vs. LDAP...

From: Andrea Giuliano <a.giuliano@iccu.sbn.it>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 16:43:26 +0200
To: www-zig@w3.org

Matthew J. Dovey wrote:

 > The essential difference is that
 >
 > In Z39.50 the query syntax is separate and independent from the results
 > format, and having performed a given query you could ask for different
 > multiple record syntaxes from the resultant set of results.
 >
 > In LDAP the LDAP schema defines both query points and results format.
 >
 > It is plausible to build LDAP/Z3950 gateways (I did once....) if you are
 > so inclined
 >
 > Matthew
Another difference that comes to my mind is that LDAP allows to organize
hierachies of entities, if I'm not much in error.

At the moment I cannot figure out whether this could be useful in
bibliographic searches or not...

As for the paper by Cliff Lynch suggested by Simon, I've been googling
aroung, but I could find it. If someone has an exact reference I would
appreciate that very much.

Also, thank you all for your interesting answers.

Best regards.

--
Andrea Giuliano, Ph. D.
ICCU - Istituto Centrale per il Catalogo Unico