  From: Shuh Barbara
  To: Ray Denenberg ; Troutpegli Dina ; www-zig@w3.org
  Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 4:15 PM
  Subject: RE: Z39.50 Extended Services / Item Order

  Sorry, Ray, but "Unfilled Copyright" vs. "Filled Copyright": are not values from the ILL protocol (ISO 10161).   So I'm not sure what Dina is referencing.  Dina, what is your source for these two values?

  I don't find anything like this in Profiles 1 & 2 for the Item Order Extended Service.  All I find is the parameter, taken from the ILL-REQUEST APDU in the ISO 10161-1 specification, "copyright-compliance".

  It is defined as an ILL-String - i.e., free text that indicates the "applicable copyright regulations or laws to which the requester is adhering".  This will vary from country to country.  There is guidance for current implementors using the IPIG Profile of ISO 10161-1 in clause  6.2.2 and Annex C of
  Guidelines for Implementors of the IPIG Profile for the meaning of the strings to be used in the U.S. and the U.K.
  (find links to PDF or Word DOC files on http://www.lac-bac.gc.ca/iso/ill/ipigprfl.htm )

  In the ILL-ANSWER APDU of ISO 10161-1, there is a list of enumerated values providing reasons why an ILL request could not be satistifed or "filled".  One of these values is "lacks-copyright-compliance", which is an indication from the responder that it requires a statement of complicance with the applicable copyright regulations or laws before the item can be supplied."  But the ILL-ANSWER message is not covered in the Item Order Extended Service.

  Barb Shuh
  Barbara Shuh
  Director, ISO Interlibrary Loan Application Standards Maintenance Agency
  Library and Archives Canada
  395 Wellington Street Ottawa ON K1A 0N4
  Phone:  (613) 995-1701 | Fax:  (613) 943-1939
  E-mail:  barbara.shuh@lac-bac.gc.ca