Re: Request OID for "XML 1.0" Record Syntax

> Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:27:37 +0100
> From: Henrik Dahl <hdahl@inet.uni2.dk>
>
> Considering that there's only been XML 1.0 until now, wouldn't it
> then be better to make the specification of the current OID for XML
> to be more precise, i.e. it's the OID for XML 1.0 and not just XML?

This would be a "purer" approach, but less pragmatic.  In practice,
people have been using the existing XML OID to indicate "any kind of
structured data we happen to have, using XML as a wrapper syntax."  In
other words, they've been assuming that the syntax can handle control
characters and similar, and I don't want to explicitly break that
assumption by saying, "No, this OID you're using means that I'm not
allowed to send you control characters".  Real systems need the
current behaviour to continue.

)_v__/\  An ounce of implementation is worth a ton of pontification.