RE: requesting XML records

From: Matthew Dovey <matthew.dovey@las.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 17:06:47 -0000
To: "Mike Taylor" <mike@indexdata.com>, <a.powell@ukoln.ac.uk>
Cc: <www-zig@w3.org>

> The issue here seems to be, what do we mean by one schema
> being "derived from" another?  Is there a ready-made answer
> to this from the world of XML Schema?  Or do we have to
> invent such a notion?

Not a direct mapping - in XML Schema we have redefines, import and
substitution groups.

Roughly speaking these work as:

Redefines - in this case I say that I take schema A, but for a
particular element x I say what structure I what it to be rather than
the structure given in schema A.

Import - If I import schema A into schema B, then at any point in the
structure I'm defining for schema B, I can introduce a structure
references in schema A

Substitution groups - I import Schema A, but say that for a particular
element x in schema A, I can in fact substitute an element y in defined
in schema B

Matthew