Re: requesting XML records

HI Andy!

All I was trying to ensure was that, when I ask for XML to be returned in
some format, the data returned says what it is.

Currently when I query a Z.39.50 server I have to know the character set and
data format. Indeed when I go to the Bavarian server on one port I get MAB2
and on the other I get UniMarc - effectively two servers.

Now wouldn't it be wonderful that the XML data returned, which almost
certainly will be in some character set supported by all parsers, I get an
XML document which says "I am MAB2" or "I am NorMarc" or "I am USMarc21".
The simplest and easiest way of doing this is to include a namespace
(default) declaration.

I know what will happen if I get a DTD or Schema reference or nothing at
all. Oh, they'll say, we're almost conformant with that, or, we changed that
last week, or whatever.

If USMarc21 can do something like this, why not everybody else?
xmlns="http://www.loc.gov/MARC21/slim"

Jonathan

PS: slim = Slim Shady?