Re: requesting XML records

Mike Taylor wrote:

> Then we really need to figure out why we passed amendment 5
> (http://lcweb.loc.gov/z3950/agency/amend/am5.html)

I'm certainly sympathetic to this observation.

(It's frustrating to spend so much energy developing elegant, high-quality,
and well-engineered protocol mechanisms, to solve problems for which version 3
was invented, only to be told later that we have to solve the problem in the
context of version 2, when version 2 simply isn't suited to solving these
problems.)

But the answer is, it's the right way to do it, but you need version 3.  Now,
if everyone adopts the version 2 way of doing it, I suppose we'll eventually
have to recall that amendment.

--Ray