Re: requesting XML records

From: Ray Denenberg <rden@loc.gov>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 16:49:43 -0500
To: zig <www-zig@w3.org>

"Dietz,Dana" wrote:

> Bath version 2 says we'll ask for syntax XML and ESN
> http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/bath/tp-dc-dtd.htm (they've got the DTD posted at this
> URL so a parser can look there to validate).  So isn't the problem already
> solved?

That'll work for now, in the short term.

Issues with using an actionable URI (the url where the schema is located) are
persistence, uniqueness, and ambiguity:  Can you guarantee the URI  will (1)
stay there, (2) be the official identifier for that schema (even though  the
schema may be replicated elsewhere), and (2) remain unchanged.

If you try to go to:
http://www.loc.gov/zing/srw/dcschema/v1.0/  you'll get "Not Found" because it's
not intended as an actionable uri but as an identifier, the same way that an oid
is an identifier. We *can* guarantee persistence of this uri, as well as
un-ambiguity.  If a new version is developed, there will be a new uri, maybe
http://www.loc.gov/zing/srw/dcschema/v1.1/, but the old uri
(http://www.loc.gov/zing/srw/dcschema/v1.0/) will continue to identify version
1.0.

--Ray