Re: Proposal: requesting XML records

> Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 18:04:19 -0400
> From: Ray Denenberg <rden@loc.gov>
>
> There is a proposal now formulated for requesting
> XML records. See:
> http://www.loc.gov/z3950/agency/proposals/request-xml.html
>
> Please comment by July 17.

This mostly looks OK, but I am vaguely uncomfortable about the clause
that says:

	The general rule then, is that whenever (and only
	when) an esn takes the form of a URI, its definition
	is derived [...]

I think that determining whether an ESN "takes the form of a URI" is
non-trivial; I wouldn't be comfortable coding it off the top of my
head, for example.  Wouldn't it be simpler to say:

	Whenever the XML record syntax is specified, the ESN is
	interpreted as a URI.

?

)_v__/\  "It is stupid to be so fat.  My pain and ultimate solitude
	 are still as authentic as they were when I was thin, but seem
	 to impress girls far less" -- Marty Smith, "The Jean-Paul
	 Sartre Cookbook"