Re: Attribute Architecture proposal

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 11:25:36AM +0200, Adam Dickmeiss wrote:

> >    http://www.mds.rmit.edu.au/~ajk/z39.50/util.html
> >

> I've read it and I'd like to reduce the size of the spec if possible:)

Always a good thing.

> The spec says that comparison should only be one of "all", "any", "adj" if
> structure is word. If that is the case, why not make a new comparion=string
> compare (14) and skip structure type entirely?
>
> I guess one would not: there will be other structure types in the future
> (date?).

I want to support other values for this type personally. The format/structure
is also necessary for scanning where you would not say 'all', 'any' or 'adj'.

> Since, all,any,ajd,_relevance_ are now all of type comparison, does that
> mean we can no longer say "relevance search - all words must match"?
> Admitted, if the comparison type was repeatable it's would be a
> different story
> (but that is a sign of an insufficient model).

Or move all,any,adj into expansion where repeats are allowed. I originally
proposed expansion then moved it to comparison based on other feedback.
(Actually, I think I started with a new type! ;-) I personally have no
preference. All choices can be justified (which might been the spec
is a bit loose...)

Alan