Re: Attribute Architecture -- new type?

> Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:47:43 +1000
> From: Alan Kent <ajk@mds.rmit.edu.au>
>
> What I had meant was if its up to the server how to break it into
> words, then the spec should say so and identify the lack of
> guarantee.

I agree.  These needs to be prose explaining briefly why this is a
helpful thing to do -- getting the query parsed (by the server) the
same way as the record itself was.

> Coming back to the original purpose of this whole discussion:
>
> * I still think 'string' and 'words' are appropriate format/strcture
>   values.

I agree, although I much preferred your earlier name for "string",
when you called it something like "completeValue".  That expressed its
purpose, while "string" doesn't really tell you anything unless you're
prepared to read the background documents (most people won't be!)

> * I think it makes sense to have any/all/adj as a separate attribute type
>   (multipleTermBehaviour) indicating behaviour to take when multiple terms
>   are extracted from the supplied query string.

Again agreed.

> multipleTermBehaviour *could* have 4 values: any/all/adj/singleton

I am not fond of "singleton", for what it's worth.

> Coming back to the above text - each format/structure I think should
> specify how multiple terms are extracted from the query string.
>
> * words - server choice on how words are extracted from the query string.
>   Different systems have different word parsing rules.
>
> * string - query string is the single, complete term.
>
> * geographic coordinates - each pair of numbers is a separate term.
>   (This is just an example - I am not a GEO expert so don't know what
>   the rule should really be.)

Again I agree.  I think this is very clear and orthogonal.

)_v__/\  "Unencumbered with facts as I am, I will comment" -- Drew
	 Larson in alt.folklore.computers, now the official Usenet
	 Motto.