From: Kevin Thomas
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2003 11:08 PM
To: 'Kevin Gamiel'; www-zig@w3.org
Subject: RE: Model question

Hello Kevin!

Perhaps my perspective is a bit limited, but I think the answer is really
very simple.

1.  Databases are things that enclose the result of intellectual work.  They
are branded.  Entities who make databases, be they for-profit or
not-for-profit or individuals, like to have their work acknowledged, in at
least the minimal sense that the user knows "I'm searching BIOSIS" or "I'm
searching MedLine" or "I'm searching my buddy JoAnne's database".

2.  It has always been well-understood that the operation of searching is
not closed (in the sense that the operation of addition over integers is
closed, but the operation of division over integers is not closed).

3.  Several important things about a database don't have natural analogs for
subsets of documents that are in the database. That is, one important
characteristic of a database is the set of records contained therein, but
there are other important characteristics too.  Examples include the
last-update date, "about this database" links, the list of available MeSH
subheadings, pricing, and so forth.  As another writer noted, another thing
stored in a database is the set of indexes, as opposed to the set of
records.

4.  Allowing for backreferences wasn't a clever hack -- it was driven by
market needs.  Back-referencing had been in A&I databases for about 20 or so
years before z39.50 version 2.  Librarians, who provided much of the major
initial push behind vendor adoption of z39.50, have always been clear that
backreferencing is a researcher's friend.  This is partly because of economy
of expression, and partly because they want to minimize user delay (and
system resource consumption) that would be caused by repeatedly running
lengthy sub-searches.

5.  Using a backreference doesn't turn a result set into a database, because
using a backreference doesn't add indexes, last-update date, pricing, or any
other database-level data.  Instead, using a backreference specifies
set-theoretic actions with the referred-to document set versus the set of
all documents in the database.

Just one man's opinion,
Kevin

this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are
notified that disclosing, copying, forwarding or otherwise distributing or
taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is
strictly prohibited.