Re: bib-1 truncation attribute 105: word masking

From: <wald@library.ho.lucent.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 16:31:32 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-zig@w3.org

  Realized better what is bothering me about this proposal.
The proposal says:
      1.  A single asterisk (*) is used to mask zero or more characters.
      4.  A single vertical bar (|) is used to mask zero or more words.

Question is how is     a*b   different from   a|b

I believe the answer (if I understand correctly) is it has nothing
to do with the masked characters - it implies that "a" and "b" must
be "words" -- that is there must be a "word boundary" before and
after both "a" and "b".
  An alternative interpretation is that "a & b" matches a*b but
not a|b  because "&" is not a word - if you mean that this will be hard.

  If my first interpretation is correct that will require explaining -
I won't start a debate (though am tempted) about whether it is good.

  Bob Waldstein   wald@lucent.com