Re: Proposal: Registration of object identifiers for MARC formattypes

Robert Sanderson wrote:

> Isn't this similar to the XML Schema discussion held at the last ZIG?
> Except the proposed solution is significantly different.   Perhaps one or
> the other might be worth revisiting at the next ZIG?

If we want to revisit, now's the time. (Who knows when the next ZIG will be?
You might have noticed, we're doing things differently now. I'm putting up
proposals for discussion over this list with a concrete end-date,  rather
than putting them all on the agenda for "the next ZIG meeting", because of
the uncertainly that we will continue to have meetings with sufficient
frequency to process proposals the old way.)

This proposal assumes that we would continue registration along the same
lines for marc, even in the new enlightened world where schemas are element
sets and schema names are carried by esn parameters.  That would apply to new
syntaxes, e.g. XML. I don't think we want to apply this new way of thinking
to marc which has a long-established registration mechanism. But if we want
to consider that, now's the time.  (And I have to admit, I don't recall that
there was any discussion of applying this to marc, but I may have simply
forgotten.)

--Ray