RE: BATH PROFILE - XML RECORDS

-----Original Message-----
From: www-zig-request@w3.org [mailto:www-zig-request@w3.org]On Behalf Of Ray
Denenberg
Sent: Friday, October 04, 2002 6:04 PM
Subject: Re: BATH PROFILE - XML RECORDS

> "If the data value is the value of a single ASN.1 data type and if the
encoding rules for this data type are the same as those for
>  the complete EXTERNAL datatype [what doe that mean?] then the sending
implementation shall use any of the encoding
> choices: single-asn1-type, octet-aligned, arbitrary....

I think it means if the external itself is encoded with BER and the data in
the external is encoded with BER (i.e tags, lengths, etc.) then you can use
single-ASN1-type if the external contains a single-ASN.1 datatype.  If both
these tests (single ASN.1 type and same encoding) are not true, then you (by
implication I agree) can't.

 > I'd certainly agree that it makes no sense to do it.
j.