Re: Question regarding SearchRequest.databaseNames versus NamePlusRecord.name

----- Original Message -----
From: "Henrik Dahl" <hdahl@inet.uni2.dk>

> Can't somebody shed some light on this:

Hi Henrik, sorry, I started to answer this yesterday and got distracted.

> I've got a question regarding SearchRequest.databaseNames versus
> NamePlusRecord.name. Let's assume that SearchRequest.databaseNames
contains
> two entries "A" and "B". Is it a requirement that NamePlusRecord.name is
> either "A" or "B" or may NamePlusRecord.name contain a value for
> DatabaseName not included in SearchRequest.databaseNames, e.g. "C"?

Assuming the search contains only operands of the form "attributeList+Term"
and none of the form ResultSetId or Restriction (see 3.7)  then the result
set resulting from the search should contain records from A and B only.

 But there isn't any explicit rule that the server can't supply a database
name other than A and B. The server might, for example,  have an alias for
"A", say "AA";  or it might supply the name of a database that is a subset
or superset of A or B. So the strict answer is that you can't really draw
any conclusive rule.

see also the clarification:
http://lcweb.loc.gov/z3950/agency/clarify/dbnames.html
--Ray