Re: Qualifier Combinations in CQL (Was: Bib-2 and the DC-Lib)

> Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 17:59:59 -0400
> From: Ray Denenberg <rden@loc.gov>
>
> I think the SRW idea is to put the baby on the wire, while classic
> Z39.50 includes the bathwater too.

:-)

> Really, I think the idea of prescribing attribute combinations and
> giving them identifiers, where the identifiers go on the wire
> (rather than the serialized, decomposed attributes) is a brilliant
> simplification (thanks to Ralph) which sacrifices only the
> capability to specify undefined combinations, which is what got us
> in alot of trouble to begin with. Bath defines attribute
> combinations (but Bath doesn't take that additional step, because
> classic Z39.50 doesn't really allow it).

Sure it does!  If you and the other Bath-ers really think that
searching against a few specific indexes is the way to achieve
interoperability, then you can go right ahead and do it: Just extend
http://lcweb.loc.gov/z3950/agency/attrarch/attrarch.html with a new
type 13 ("index") and define the set of indexes that you want Bath to
be able to search.  No problems there.

> So I take issue with your view that we're throwing out the lessons
> of Z39.50, particulary the important work we did with attribute
> architecture.

Well, I've promised I won't comment on this subject again, so I'm just
going to grit my teeth and go do something more useful :-)

)_v__/\  ... but Doctor, surely the odds against that happening are
	 astronomical!