RE: character encoding assumptions and approaches

My two points, very briefly:

1. We (ZIG) do not "bother" ourselves with the records retrieved because
they are external to the Z39.50 protocol. An external is something that we
don't know, unless it is defined by ourselves.
We do not know the contents of an external, we do not know its use, we do
not know its character set. We do not care about that.
The character set of an external is outside the scope of the z39.50 protocol
(again: unless it is defined by ourselves).

2. The new option bit should apply, and necessarily will apply, not only to
search term, but to all fields defined as InternationalString, which is not
only the search term but also (very important if you have scan!) the scan
term and all the headings retrieved through the scan response. Actually, as
far as character sets issues concerned, we have more problems with the scan
than with the search.

Pieter van Lierop