SV: SV: Z39.50 character encoding

My idea was to create a new option bit specifying that an XML document
having the simple schema, which makes the kind of document as this possible,
should be used:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" standalone="yes"?>
<InternationalString>
Finally the discussion on charactersets is over as the solution to the
problem is handled by ordinary means in scope of XML
</InternationalString>

The idea here is of course, that the XML toolkit in use may handle all the
characterset handling letting us to making Z39.50 relevant software and just
relying on XML. If somebody want to use ISO 8859 Latin 1 they just specify
an encoding attribute as shown. If they want some other characterset they
can just lookup the XML specific value for the encoding attribute.

It's obviously correct, that if InternationalString should contain only "2"
it doesn't solve any real problem and the same is the case for the letters
used in United States of America, because they're simply having the same
byterepresentations in all relevant charactersets as long as we stick to
singular byte charactersets.

You may complain that the BER encoding becomes irrelevantly byte consumptive
as a consequence. On the other hand this kind of consideration should
prevent BER in favor of CER encoding. But, who cares about that to this
magnitude nowadays.

Best regards,

Henrik Dahl