RE: native encoding

I agree with Henrik that we should look at the fields with International
String or similar.
We should *not* deal with external record syntaxes. We can not change the
way in which people retrieve MARC records.

The variant thing is not a good idea because it is not widely used. (In
other words, I don't know what it is.)

Pieter