Re: character sets: Term as OCTET STRING

From: Ray Denenberg <rden@loc.gov>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 10:22:29 -0400
To: www-zig@w3.org

Mike Taylor wrote:

> > Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 09:37:23 -0400
> > From: "LeVan,Ralph" <levan@oclc.org>
> >
> > As Pieter pointed out, just because a server says it is version 3
> > does not mean that all the Term choices work.  I can be reasonably
> > sure that general works and need to be able to use it.
>
> What are the chances of a server that doesn't even recognise an
> InternationalString search .....

If it doesn't *recognize* InternationString then it's not version 3
compliant.

The server in question must at least understand that the client is
attempting to send an InternationalString search term, and respond with a
diagnostic to the effect that it doesn' t support it.  It can't just declare
a protocol error. Otherwise it is not version 3 compliant.  And this is not
a debatable point. See
http://www.loc.gov/z3950/agency/zing/bath-indexes.html. (And if it's not a
version 3 server than it's a moot point.)

So how difficult a step would it be to simply support the
InternationalString?

--Ray