SV: character sets: Term as OCTET STRING

Ralph,

Term is defined like this:

Term ::= CHOICE{
general [45] IMPLICIT OCTET STRING,
-- values below may be used only if version 3 is in force
numeric [215] IMPLICIT INTEGER,
characterString [216] IMPLICIT InternationalString,
oid [217] IMPLICIT OBJECT IDENTIFIER,
dateTime [218] IMPLICIT GeneralizedTime,
external [219] IMPLICIT EXTERNAL,
integerAndUnit [220] IMPLICIT IntUnit,
null [221] IMPLICIT NULL}

I understand your point is considering the "general" choice. Why don't you
just use characterString instead unless of course it's not really
Z39.50-1995 but only Z39.50-1992 you're dealing with?

Best regards,

Henrik Dahl