Re: character sets: Term as OCTET STRING

> Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 09:33:54 -0400
> From: "LeVan,Ralph" <levan@oclc.org>
>
> I believe that the negotiation does not apply to OCTET STRING.

Yes.

> I also believe that this is a mistake and have proposed that OCTET
> STRING be included in the negotiation.

I would be very uncomfortable about changing this.  OCTET STRINGs are
not strings in this sence.  (They ought perhaps to be called something
like OCTET SEQUENCES).  What if you include in your GRS-1 record a
JPEG image as an OCTET STRING?  What would it mean for that to be
subject to negotation?

Surely InternationalString should be used everywhere that the idea of
character-set negotation makes any sense.

)_v__/\  "Sharing of software is as old as computers, just as sharing
	 of recipes is as old as cooking" - Richard Stallman.