Re: Z39.50 character encoding

From: Mike Taylor <mike@tecc.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 17:20:00 GMT
To: rden@loc.gov
CC: www-zig@w3.org
> Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 11:54:05 -0500
> From: Ray Denenberg <rden@loc.gov>

> > > Well no, that's not what I had in mind.
> >
> > But it _has_ to!  That's what an EXTERNAL is!
>
> It's not clear to me that the oid embodies the character set. It identifies
> the record syntax.

OK, that's true.  Let me be more specific.  Some of those record
syntaxes that we identify (and USMARC is the obvious example) include
a specification of character set that we are not at liberty to
override -- otherwise the records we serve up will not be USMARC
records.  Other record syntaxes may be less prescriptive.

)_v__/\  "_Apatosaurus_ sort of looks like a pro wrestler when most
	 of the other sauropods tend to look like ballerinas" --
	 Matt Wedel.