Re: Z39.50 on the web (and in print)

From: Ashley Sanders <zzaascs@irwell.mimas.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 13:44:36 +0000
To: www-zig@w3.org
Matthew Dovey wrote:
> > As probably the people describing the content of the database
> > are not the
> > same people as describing the technical specs, this also
> > means that they
> > can be two completely separate records if desired.
> In practice, it is quite likely that aligning services and collections
> can be very problematic:
> COPAC in the UK for example, provides access to a number of collections
> (it being a Union catalogue of various UK Universities) - each
> subcollection is however also available from the library system at that
> University.

It might also be borne in mind that not all our member libraries
have their own z39.50 target, and when they do, they always deliver
different record syntaxes to us.

Ashley Sanders                                a.sanders@mcc.ac.uk
COPAC: A public bibliographic database from MIMAS, funded by JISC
             http://copac.ac.uk/ - copac@mimas.ac.uk