Re: Z39.50 on the web (and in print)

From: Ashley Sanders <zzaascs@irwell.mimas.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 13:44:36 +0000
To: www-zig@w3.org
Matthew Dovey wrote:
> > As probably the people describing the content of the database
> > are not the
> > same people as describing the technical specs, this also
> > means that they
> > can be two completely separate records if desired.
>
> In practice, it is quite likely that aligning services and collections
> can be very problematic:
>
> COPAC in the UK for example, provides access to a number of collections
> (it being a Union catalogue of various UK Universities) - each
> subcollection is however also available from the library system at that
> University.

It might also be borne in mind that not all our member libraries
have their own z39.50 target, and when they do, they always deliver
different record syntaxes to us.

Ashley.

--
Ashley Sanders                                a.sanders@mcc.ac.uk
COPAC: A public bibliographic database from MIMAS, funded by JISC