Re: Z39.50 on the web (and in print)

From: Ray Denenberg <rden@loc.gov>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 12:10:09 -0500
Ashley Sanders wrote:

> Does not real Explain already have a F&N feature -- Surrogate
> Explain Databases as described by Denis Lynch ...

Good point. The explain definition was developed with the intention of
explaining a single server (the one where the Explain database resides). The
idea of a surrogate explain server was sort of a last minute add-on, an
afterthought. Nevertheless it's a reasonably sound approach, it seems to me.

It works roughly like this: there is a well-known database that explains the
local server, but other databases (that is, with names different from the
well-known database explain-1) can reside at that server too.  The way to
discover them is to search the well-known database, explain-1, for database info
records, and the ones that correspond to surrogate databases have a flag. See, second bullet. Or look at the ASN.1 for Explain, DatabaseInfo,
'explainDatabase'.  You'll note that if we want to exploit this feature to do
what we're talking about, it would require a bit more specificity, but the hook
is there.