Re: SV: Z39.50 on the web (and in print)

Mike Taylor wrote:

> But as Rob went on to say, no-one
> actually _does_ Explain.  It's a tragedy, but there it is.

Well, when I've got a few rather urgent jobs out of the way, I'll
hopefully be installing a new COPAC target wich implements much
more of full-fat Explain than we do now -- including
TermList-Info and TermList-Details. Most of the coding is
complete and it really wasn't hard to do (just tedious.) (This
should please Rob even if no-one else uses it.)

> (For extra credit: "Explain failed because for most servers there was
> no obvious business case for implementing it.

Cynics might think that some server vendors want to make it
as difficult as possible for third party clients to search
their databases.

Ashley.

--
Ashley Sanders                                a.sanders@mcc.ac.uk
COPAC: A public bibliographic database from MIMAS, funded by JISC