Re: SV: Z39.50 on the web (and in print)

From: Ashley Sanders <zzaascs@irwell.mimas.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 14:21:09 +0000
To: www-zig@w3.org
Mike Taylor wrote:

> But as Rob went on to say, no-one
> actually _does_ Explain.  It's a tragedy, but there it is.

Well, when I've got a few rather urgent jobs out of the way, I'll
hopefully be installing a new COPAC target wich implements much
more of full-fat Explain than we do now -- including
TermList-Info and TermList-Details. Most of the coding is
complete and it really wasn't hard to do (just tedious.) (This
should please Rob even if no-one else uses it.)

> (For extra credit: "Explain failed because for most servers there was
> no obvious business case for implementing it.

Cynics might think that some server vendors want to make it
as difficult as possible for third party clients to search
their databases.

Ashley Sanders                                a.sanders@mcc.ac.uk
COPAC: A public bibliographic database from MIMAS, funded by JISC
             http://copac.ac.uk/ - copac@mimas.ac.uk