Re: Z39.50 on the web (and in print)

At 12:43 22-02-2002 +0000, Robert Sanderson wrote:

>To go back to the original idea, what is needed is actually an explain
>harvester/cross searcher so there's one server to go to that can find
>others based on their explain information.

Mark Hinnebusch asked me this in response to my original mail, so I'll pass
it on...

Would this be the "friends and neighbours" service that was discussed with
some enthusiasm at a meeting a year or so ago? The idea was that a server
would be able to return a list of "friends and neighbours", for instance,
other members of its consortium, other national servers, etc. At that time,
Explain was unpopular, so the idea was to do it in an XML structure
returned on the Init, as I recall.

As popular as the idea seemed at the time, I have developed my own
reservations about this, but what do others think?

--Sebastian
--
Sebastian Hammer, Index Data <http://www.indexdata.dk/>
Ph: +45 3341 0100, Fax: +45 3341 0101