RE: 2 simple questions (?)

Peter,
in all our implementations so far we have interpreted "name normalized" as
<last name>, <first name> with one _OR MORE_ spaces between the two.
The critic to this has been: "This is the normalized form in most of the
western world, but not in the world as a whole".

It has never been any difficulties in reducing several spaces to one space
between the two parts.
I have the impression tha this interpretation of "normalized form" comes
from AACR 2.  Is that correct?

Liv

===== Original Message from Pieter Van Lierop <pvanlierop@geac.fr> at
20.02.02 08:39
>Lennie,
>This is typically an example of why Z39.50 without profiles is so hopelessly
>complex in interoperability issues. The definition you cite says in fact:
>the server can do what it wants. So if the server says: For me a normalized
>name is a first name followed by 5 dots and then the last name: That is
>perfectly legal Z39.50.
>
>I will re-formulate my question:
>What would a normalized name "normally" be:
><LastName> space <FirstName>
><LastName> comma <FirstName>
><LastName> comma space<FirstName>
>or should the server support all of these?
>
>For example, it is not clear to me what the Bath profile says.
>
>Pieter

===== Comments by Liv.A.Holm@jbi.hio.no (Liv Aasa Holm) at 20.02.02 08:51

Liv A. Holm
associate professor
Oslo University college
faculty of journalism, library and information science
tel. +47-22-45-27-77
fax.:+47-22-45-26-05