Re: asn1xml ASN and XML workspace

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 05:55:38AM -0500, Eliot Christian wrote:
> I note with some frustration that some Z39.50 implementors are
> working on a "Z39.50 Next Generation" that may employ XML/SOAP
> without preserving a strict relationship to the ASN.1 spec.

I am one of the people working on one of the ZiNG projects, SRW.
(ZiNG is an umbrella under which multiple things are being tried.)
But SRW has got a different goal that XER. The goal is to come
up with a very small SOAP RPC. Z39.50 -> XSD will keep all of
the complexities of the Z39.50 protocol.

My *personal* goal is to have a gateway to go from SOAP with a
simple subset of Z39.50 (to make it appealing to the masses)
which converts back into the real Z39.50 protocol. So I don't
consider them to be competing projects. We have been trying
to sell Z39.50 in its current form to non-librarian customers
since 1994. Its got wonderful semantic concepts, but the protocol
is just too big and ugly. So the ZiNG experiments I think are
interesting to see if the good core stuff of Z39.50 can be
made more accessible to the general market.

Alan