Re: Betr.: RE: Bib-2 and the DC-Lib

> Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 16:09:58 -0400
> From: Shuh Barbara <barbara.shuh@nlc-bnc.ca>
>
> As well, most Bib-2 access points are based on the Z39.50
> Cross-Domain Attribute Set access points, which, at the time that
> attribute set was developed, mapped to Dublin Core elements.  The
> problem is that Dublin Core has evolved since then, so the fit isn't
> as good...

Actually, I'm not sure DC has actually _changed_ that much.  It's
certainly been refined, and is now capable of saying more specific
things, but as far as I'm aware the "core" of the Dublin Core -- those
fifteen elements -- are pretty much as they always were.  At least,
that's my reading of
	http://dublincore.org/documents/dces/
(Can someone confirm or deny this?)

The biggest gap between vanilla DC and the Cross-Domain attribute set
was originally Ralph's aggregation of DC's Creator, Editor and
Publisher elements into a single "Name" access point (which is why the
set contains only thirteen elements rather than fifteen.)  Seems to me
that this is still the only substantial discrepancy.

We should -- perhaps -- think about fixing that, and making the
cross-domain set a Dublin Core set, done and dusted.  That would
certainly make it easier for non-Z39.50 people to understand what
we're doing.

BTW., the cross-domain attribute set definition at
	http://staff.oclc.org/~levan/docs/crossdomainattributeset.html
includes a link to a commentery on the set, which makes interesting
background reading (and is short enough to read in five minutes!)  The
link's broken, though -- the correct URL for the commentary is
       http://staff.oclc.org/~levan/docs/crossdomainattributesetcommentary.html

)_v__/\  "If you're not sure what your options are, pop the ball in
	 the net and we'll discuss it later" -- Bob Paisley.