Re: z39.50r URL

Mike Taylor wrote:

> > How do you specify an attribute architecture search in a z39.50r
> > URL?
>
> In the z39.50r URL as specified in RFC 2056, you can't specify _any_
> search, AA-compliant or not.  All you can do is specify a record by
> its unique ID.

Yes but you've taken the question too literally.
Rob's asking:
(a) how do you take the id and turn it to an "AA-compliant" search? Meaning,
how do you cast the search in tems of attributes from sets developed under
the Attribute Architecture as oposed to casting it as a bib-1 search as
specified in the RFC.

And a related question,

(b) how do you indicate in the url that it this is to be done, as opposed to
the old way.

Now the answer to (a), though we've never formalized this, is to use the
utility set access point attribute Local Control Number of Record (4)
(instead of the bib-1 attribute docid).  Question (b) is something we've
discussed but not thoroughly  enough.  It may be that we don't need to
change the url syntax (though at minimum we would need to change the
procedural section of the RFC). I think that when attribute architecture
discussion starts heating up again (which may be now) we'll address this
concretely.

--Ray