Re: Betr.: Retrieving XML

Matthew Dovey wrote:

>There is a another real-life example which comes out of the holdings
>schema for union catalogues. This lead to a eSpec-Q.
>
>The problem here is that you are searching a union catalogue of say 120
>different libraries (as in the situation in Oxford, but is equally
>applicable to national union catalogues etc., I think eSpec-Q came out
>of the French union catalogue). Now in this situation, for a fairly
>common book you may get back 120 different locations. For a typical
>user, only 1 or 2 specified libraries are going to be relevant (based on
>which libraries you can borrow from or which are physically close). So
>you really want to say to the server - give me the bibliographic record
>and the holdings statements for the following 2 or 3 libraries. Pulling
>back all 120 holdings statements and then filtering client side seems
>inefficient of bandwidth.
>
>This gets worse if say you are using a European Union Catalogue (1000s
>of libraries) over a modem connection...
>
>Matthew

This is exactly the case with the italian union catalog, so your post is
quite interesting to me. Can you be more explicit or show an example?

I definitely agree with you as far as efficiency and bandwidth are
concerned.

What seems obscure to me is how you would translate into a stylesheet
the statement "give me the bibliographic record and the holdings
statements for the following 2 or 3 libraries".

Also, at least for your example, could one use the attribute 1044
(possessing institution) to match only those records with holding
statements for some libraries, instead of filtering the resulting
records? Clearly, one may think of other situations in which there is
not such a use attribute.

Sorry if these are trivial questions!

Best regards.

--