RE: Proposal: Searching XML -- retrieval

At 06:31 22-04-2002 -0400, Dan Brickley wrote:

> > I think my view (and this was something we investigated in some of the
> > precursor work for SRW) would be that specifying an XSLT as an e-spec
> > would be a better proposal that just specifying a list of XPATHs. This
> > would also have the advantage of have toolkits available for XSLT
> > transforms that could plug in.
>
>Isn't XSLT turing complete? queries could take a while to complete unless
>there was some filtering put in place to subset things to sensible
>XSLTs... (also we'd need to watch that extension functions weren't left
>open).

Oh, but watch out here! Matthew is talking about Element specifications,
which is a transformation that is carried out on each retrieval record
prior to sending it to the client. It has *no* bearing on the search.

I agree about extension functions though.

Please, let's keep this discussion a tad separate from the discussion about
searching.

--Sebastian
--
Sebastian Hammer, Index Data <http://www.indexdata.dk/>