Re: Sort criteria in Search Request

From: Robert Sanderson <azaroth@liverpool.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 11:29:37 +0100 (BST)
To: <a.sanders@mcc.ac.uk>
cc: ZIG <www-zig@w3.org>

> > A lot of targets, according to their Supported Requests info in Init don't
> > support sort. And a lot of the ones that claim it, don't in truth.

> Can you expand on this Rob? What exactly are these targets not doing?

Sure.

In the Init response, they claim to support Sort. However as far as I can
tell, they accept the search PDU, but can't process it and return a sort
failure.  And this is for something as simple as sorting by the single
attribute that was used in the search.

eg:
1. init
2. search for author=Sanderson
3. sort on author attribute    --> Sort failure code and no resultset

It could be, of course, that our PDU encoding is wrong but as it accepts
the request but returns a failure I suspect that it isn't.

Does anyone support SortDetails in Explain?

Rob

--
      ,'/:.          Rob Sanderson (azaroth@liverpool.ac.uk)
,'---/::::::::::.    Syrinnia:  telnet:  syrinnia.o-r-g.org 7777