Re: type-1 search in XML?

Our group has a pre-XSLT tool called "Gazebo" that translates XML
queries (in our own generic query syntax) into Z39.50.  I have
successfully used XSLT to do the same translation into Z39.50/XER.

The upshot is that if you develop an XML query syntax it should be
very easy to use XSLT to convert it into Z39.50/XER.

See http://emerge.ncsa.uiuc.edu/ for information about our tools,
including Gazebo and our XER Java library.  If you're interested I can
send you the XSLT stylesheet for converting our XML query syntax into
Z39.50/XER along with some example queries to translate.

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 03:24:52PM +0000, Michael Selway wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anyone know of any work done on expressing z39.50 searches in XML?
> I realize XER is one answer.  I wondered if anyone had done
> anything higher level.
>
> The purpose isn't (in this case) for transmitting searches in XML,
> but so that we can build and manipluate searches using standard
> systems and languages, notably, of course, XSLT.
>
> Michael.

Joe Futrelle                  | "Did Seattle sweat me?" -- Vicky
Technical Lead                | Motherwell
Emerge / SDT / DMV / NCSA     |
http://emerge.ncsa.uiuc.edu/  |