Re: ZNG: "Z39.50 Next Generation"

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 12:19:44PM +0100, Robert Sanderson wrote:
> Err....
> No session support?  No separate search/present? No ASN/BER ? No multiple
> record syntaxes?  No -scan-?
>
> Getting rid of these makes it next to useless in context.

I very much agree that dumbing down Z39.50 is a dangerous game.
However I strongly disagree that ASN/BER should be preserved.  XML +
XML-Schema can do 99% of what ASN/BER allows Z39.50 to do.

What is the feeling of ZNG proponents about XER?  To me the advantage
it has over XML-Schema is its nice, simple system for encoding binary
data.

A much more conservative approach to "modernizing" Z39.50 is to encode
protocol messages in XER and transport them over HTTP, say in SOAP.

Joe Futrelle                  | "She chafed Falmouth, although Ellie
Technical Lead                | wasn't unadorned. In spite of her, we
Emerge / SDT / DMV / NCSA     | might be exiling them." -- Prof. Will
http://emerge.ncsa.uiuc.edu/  | Ed