RE: ZNG: "Z39.50 Next Generation"

I am sceptical about the idea of trying to make a "mainstream protocol", if
only because "mainstream" means "simplified" which means "poor". I think we
need an upgrade of Z39.50 for libraries, documentation, full-text retrieval,
that kind of things. Let us stick to our business, and not try to conquer
the whole world.
Z39.50 was a tremendous success, and it will be hard to repeat that. So a
new protocol should somehow be built upon Z39.50, as a Z39.50 Next
Generation with backwards compatability.
I see Z39.50 like MARC or ISO2709 or ASCII: You can't throw it away, at
least not yet.

Two more remarks:

I would argue against hard-coding any external protocol (like XML) in the
new protocol.

I am a partisan of the Scan functionality, and I will defend it!!

Pieter van Lierop
Geac