Sort criteria in Search Request

From: Ian Ibbotson <ian.ibbotson@k-int.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 11:47:14 +0100
To: <www-zig@w3c.org>
Hi All.

I'm wondering if there has been any previous discussion covering the
possibility of including sort crtiteria within a search request? I'm
getting a lot of requests at the moment to provide a mechanism in the java
toolkit for programmers to be able to send sort criteria along with the
initial search request. I guess much of this is down to the fact that people
naturally expect to be able to do something akin to "Select x from y order by
z" as a one-shot operation. I've started to code around this at the API
level, immediately sending a sort after the search response arrives, but it's
a bit clunky.

Any thoughts? I'm more than happy to write something a little more detailed
(Seems not to be too compilcated at first sight) but wondering what the
general consensus out there is?

Regards,
Ian.

--