Re: Spacing problem with mixed English and Arabic

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 3:02 AM, Ryan Fong <ryan.fong@workday.com> wrote:

> G'day, mates.  I'm using Apache FOP 1.1rc1 on Java 1.7.0_07 64-bit and
> have a spacing problem.
>
> I have a block that says "Page x of x".  The text has been translated to
> Arabic and the numeric values are replaced with the fo calculated values
> <fo:page-number/> and <fo:page-number-citation ref-id="last-page"/>.
> Writing mode has been set right-to-left.
>
> The problem is that the rendered page shows the numbers overlapping the
> text.  It is as if the spaces are ignored when the numbers are placed
> within the text.  I've tried using the word-spacing attribute on
> fo:block but the spaces are rendered unevenly, most of the space occurs
> to the left of the number.
>
> I've also noticed that any attempt to place a border around the number
> itself, such as using fo:inline with a colored border around the
> fo:page-number, results in a very thin line being displayed to the left
> of the number.  This indicates something wrong with the way it's
> calculated.
>
> I'd appreciate any workarounds for this problem or assistance
> identifying this as a bug in the rendering engine.  Thank you!

This is a general ML about XSL-FO specification, and not about
implementations. Please bring this attention to the FOP community at
fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org, and provide an input FO file and output
PDF file showing the input and output of your use of FOP.

Regards,
Glenn