Re: sidenotes

At 2011-06-01 17:24 +0100, Dave Pawson wrote:
>On 1 June 2011 15:52, Tony Graham <tgraham@mentea.net> wrote:
> > On Wed, June 1, 2011 3:10 pm, Dave Pawson wrote:
> >> I want to float side notes to the outside, to take space from the
> >> start|end region
> >> which have been made large enough for them.
> >>
> >> OK when I know which side it will float to... less so when I insert pages
> >> and the recto content moves to the verso etc.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions please? I need a block about 16pc wide?
> >
> > float="outside"
>
>which stays within the body?

Of course, yes.  By definition.

>How to 'push it' into the margin area Tony?

This is not possible in XSL-FO 1.1.  Only change bars can be
synchronized outside of the body area with constructs in the body area.

>Can it be done today?

You have to mimic it using outside floats as Tony has advised you.

And, then, you have to find a formatter that supports outside floats
and intrusion displacement in order to do the mimicry.

Tony's answer is correct for the state of the technology.

--
Contact us for world-wide XML consulting & instructor-led training
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/