Re: display-align center issue with basic-link

At 2011-01-18 15:43 -0800, brock.rogers wrote:
>     This is probably an issue with the render engine we are using,

I agree.

>but I
>wanted to see if anyone has seen this or has any ideas of a workaround.

I do, but I have no idea if it is going to help or not.

>I have a table with roughly 10 columns, and 3 rows.  The left most column
>spans all three rows and there is a link in that column.  The height of the
>rows is not known ahead of time as some of the columns will have multiple
>items extending the height of the rows.  My problem is in the left most
>column I use (display-align="center") to vertically align the text which
>works fine, but the clickable area is actually at the top of the column, so
>the target is separate from the text.  It looks like the following:

>[clickable area here]     |                                                |
>                                 |   stuff here
>|
>                                 |-----------------------------------
>

>       link text is here      |  stuff here                                 |
>                                 |-----------------------------------
>

>                                 |stuff here

>Has anybody seen this behavior

I have not.

>or have any ideas on alignment or anything to
>try and get it all together?  The code snippet is below:
>
><fo:table-cell display-align="center">
>       <fo:block>
>            <fo:basic-link
>external-destination="http://www.espn.com">ESPN</fo:basic-link>
>       </fo:block>
><fo:table-cell>

It is always awkward trying to get around bugs, but my idea for you
is to put the block into a block-container and centre the block
container in the cell.  Your description implies that the vendor is
improperly putting the clickable area inside the *reference* area
(the table cell) and not the block area.  If you centre a
block-container and put your block in that block-container, and the
bug puts the clickable area in the closest ancestral reference area,
perhaps that will bring the focus down to the centre of the table cell.

<fo:table-cell display-align="center">
   <fo:block-container>
     <fo:block>
       <fo:basic-link
external-destination="http://www.espn.com">ESPN</fo:basic-link>
     </fo:block>
   </fo:block-container>
<fo:table-cell>

I hope this helps, but it really is shooting in the dark when trying
to get around a bug.  Has the vendor been helpful in acknowledging
your problem?

--
Contact us for world-wide XML consulting & instructor-led training
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/