RE: keeping word together (not breaking words onto next line)

At 2010-12-21 06:30 -0600, Mario Madunic wrote:
>Seems I forgot to put one twist into the mix. The title is a marker.
>So did some testing with the xsl:fo source by adding the fo:inline
>manually and parsing it.
>
><fo:marker marker-class-name="partsPageTitle">FLUSH WINDOW ASSEMBLY,
>NON-EMERGENCY <fo:inline
>keep-together.within-line="always">TIP-IN/FIXED</fo:inline></fo:marker>
>
>Works like a charm. So my question is when defining the marker
>"partsPagetitle" can I place the fo:inline there while creating the
>xsl:fo or will I need to do a pass on the FO and add the fo:inline
>during this step.

A marker can contain *any* XSL-FO that the parent of the
corresponding marker retrieval construct is allowed to have.  Of
course this cannot be verified until runtime.

>Not a big deal to parse the FO but do not want to go up the wrong
>path while creating a called-template to parse the string, find any
>word containing symbols, and then wrap the string in fo:inline.

You can do that word parsing at the time you create the marker and
then not think of it later.

BTW, I did some hyphenation tests replacing the hyphen with an
en-dash, but the dash was too long and the word still breaks at the
"/" so I don't think there is any direction there to follow.

Remember you can use powerful constructs like <xsl:analyze-string> on
your text nodes in order to more easily find the words that need
wrapping with an <fo:inline>.

I hope this helps.

p.s. Happy Holidays to readers of this list!

--
Contact us for world-wide XML consulting & instructor-led training
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/