Independent recto/verso flows?

From: Brad Smith <usernamenumber@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 17:51:54 -0500
To: www-xsl-fo@w3.org
Suppose I have a book whose source xml contains text and commentary on that
text (or, if you like, text in two languages). I am wondering if there is a
way using xslt and xslfo to cause the text to print only on verso pages with
the corresponding commentary (or translation) on the recto pages. From what
I've read, I'm afraid that having two flows like this isn't possible, but I
wanted to ask:

- Can this be done?

- If not, does anyone know of something else that might be better suited?

Thanks!
--Brad