Re: Basic FO questions

On 06.11.2007 10:43:03 Khaled Aly wrote:

> Hi
>
> Finishing my first FO project... I ran into a few issues that may be
> considered 'secondary', but I'm really keen to resolve them, here below:
>
> - The use of basic-link with inline to contain the displayable text
> causes space characters to be inserted around the inline text. If those
> were internal links, the inline could be omitted and they could be
> highlighted with basic-link's background-color attribute to give them a
> distinct appearance. With web URLs, it's preferable to use the
> conventional underlined blue color. I couldn't get that to work with any
> of basic-link attributes. But I suppose there should be a way.
> Otherwise, is there a way to avoid the space inserted by the inline
> element? I tried ascii backspace and delete characters and they didn't work.

Can you provide a short FO document that demonstrates your problem? I
cannot reproduce it with Apache FOP 0.94 based on your description.

<snip/>

> - To get basic-link with internal-destination attribute to point to the
> exact reference element page position instead of the top of page, I
> suppose that requires FO 1.1, may be FOP 0.94, is it right?

FO 1.1 is not necessary. But you will need FOP 0.94, yes.

> - I tried to get several symbols from the set of Unicode geometric
> shapes (x25A0 to 25FF) displayed using utf-8, utf-16, and iso-8859-1,
> but I always get a '#' in place. What should be the right character set
> name to use for those to display properly? Actually, I've been through
> all IANA and Unicode links without being able to identify exactly which
> character sets belong to which standards. There is a lot of RFCs listed
> that I'm not sure if one needs to go through them. I'm not interested in
> non-English characters at this time, but more of miscellaneous,
> geometric, and mathematical sets; referring to the terminology used in
> O'Reilly's "XML in a Nutshell."

Please see: http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/faq.html#pdf-characters
Basically, you just need a font that has the characters you want to
display. Obviously, your font lacks some of these characters.

> Many thanks for any answers or suggestions to try.
>
> Regards
> Khaled

Jeremias Maerki