Re: Basic FO questions

On Tue, Nov 06 2007 09:43:03 +0000, ka.aly@luxsci.net wrote:
> - The use of basic-link with inline to contain the displayable text
> causes space characters to be inserted around the inline text. If
> those were internal links, the inline could be omitted and they could
> be highlighted with basic-link's background-color attribute to give
> them a distinct appearance. With web URLs, it's preferable to use the
> conventional underlined blue color. I couldn't get that to work with
> any of basic-link attributes. But I suppose there should be a
> way. Otherwise, is there a way to avoid the space inserted by the
> inline element? I tried ascii backspace and delete characters and they
> didn't work.
>
> - In the below xslt template fragment, I meant to generate ordered
> list item labels. They come all even numbers and I could only divide
> by 2 to get 1, 2, 3 ... Any obvious or known reason for that?
>
> <xsl:if test="../@ordered='yes'">
> <fo:block font-size="10pt" font-family="sans-serif">
>  <xsl:number value="position()*.5"/>.       <<<<<<<<<< problem here
> </fo:block>
> </xsl:if>

Both of these sound like XSLT problems where you have whitespace text
nodes between your element nodes that you aren't considering.

Making up an example, if your XML was:

<list ordered="yes">
<item/>
<item/>
</list>

then the first child of the <list> is the text node containing the
newline before the first <item>.

You can either select only the nodes you are interested in by using
@select on your <xsl:apply-templates>, or you can strip the whitespace
nodes from the source tree using a top-level <xsl:strip-space> [1],
e.g., <xsl:strip-space elements="list"/> for my example.

Regards,

Tony Graham.
Tony.Graham@MenteithConsulting.com   http://www.menteithconsulting.com

Menteith Consulting Ltd             Registered in Ireland - No. 428599
Menteith Consulting -- Understanding how markup works

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#strip