RE: xslt:fo include binaryfile

> I just looked for a reference for this but as far as I can see the spec
> is entirely silent on the format of an external graphic.

Actually, XEP documentation contains information about external graphic format. Take a look: http://www.renderx.com/reference.html#d0e12049
And, of course, there are no restrictions for external graphic format in XSL-FO specification.

Respectfully,
Volodymyr Rodymyuk
P.S.
I forgot to mention that this trick is not applicable for PostScript producing.