Re: Could someone please clarify the spec for alignment-adjust

Please don't post to multiple lists at the same time.

On 06/07/07, Max Berger <max@berger.name> wrote:

> I am now a little confused about the spec on alignment-adjust.  My
> Reference is xsl-fo 1.1 [1]
>
> 7.31.22 "vertical-align"

Something wrong.
http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#alignment-adjust
7.14.1

or

http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#vertical-align
7.31.22 "vertical-align"

I'll assume the latter.

> [...] shift-direction to bottom-to-top
>
> Which together results in: a positive value will shift towards bottom
> (lower the box), while a negative value shifts towards top (raise the
> box),which is contradictory to the specification before.
>
> I may have missed something, but I believe this is contradictory.
> Could someone please clarify on this?

All relative to the baseline, see
http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#area-alignment  the figure?
The alphabetic baseline is the horizontal reference point for
vertical placement of a glyph.
To tweak this, we shift this
http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#baseline-shift
(suggestion is for graphics etc)
The assumed 'positive' direction (shift direction) is pos = up for
Western scripts.
That makes superscript move nearer the top.

Hence setting this inverted might make sense.

> [...] shift-direction to bottom-to-top
>
> Which together results in: a positive value will shift towards bottom
> (lower the box), while a negative value shifts towards top (raise the
> box),which is contradictory to the specification before.

So now 'super' would *lower* the graphic when baseline shift is set to
a positive number.

As to why you'd want to do this ....
Mmmm.

HTH