Usage of @class and @style in XSL-FO

From: Manuel Strehl <manuel.strehl@physik.uni-regensburg.de>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 11:31:15 +0200
To: www-xsl-fo@w3.org

Hello.

I was wondering, why XSL-FO doesn't allow classes and style attributes
in its elements. Of course, I'm aware that this is intended to be done
by XSLT, but still it would be more simple for creating, editing and
maintenance of the code, if there could be a central point that defines,
e.g., the layout of all fo:block elements.

So, and to pull a parallel to SVG, I think class and style attributes as
well as a style element in the fo:layout-master-set are a useful and
important extension, when it comes to XSL-FO 1.1 or 2.0.

Best regards
Manuel Strehl