Re: [docbook] Re: [docbook-apps] using qandaentry

From: Per Bothner <per@bothner.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 23:25:28 -0700
To: Jason Novotny <novotny@aei.mpg.de>
CC: Paul DuBois <paul@kitebird.com>, docbook@lists.oasis-open.org, docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org, www-xsl-fo@w3.org

Jason Novotny wrote:
>    Now that I see FOP is pretty much unsupported or unmaintained since
> it hasn't seen any new releases in nearly 2 years, I'll have to
> re-evaluate my reasons for using docbook in the first place ;-)

Instead of using FOP to generate printed output, I cobbled together
an XSLT stylesheet that translates docbook to LaTeX.  That works
pretty well.

Sample input:
http://per.bothner.com/papers/Qexo04/Qexo04.xml
HTML output:
http://per.bothner.com/papers/Qexo04/Qexo04.html
LaTex output:
http://per.bothner.com/papers/Qexo04/Qexo04.tex
PDF output generated from above:
http://per.bothner.com/papers/Qexo04/Qexo04.pdf

It does require a little bit of pre- and post-processing
using the standard Unix 'sed' command, in addition to xsltproc,
and TeX.  Somebody who know xslt and docbook better could probably
do a better job, but I can provide the scripts if interested.
--
	--Per Bothner